The summer celebration season is just around the corner, kicking off with a time-honored tradition -- Memorial Day Weekend along the Philly Waterfront. Honoring this tradition will look and feel much different this year as we practice physical distancing, but we’re here to share how it can be just as fun.
We've curated a list of recipes and cocktail combos from some of our favorite Waterfront staples: a collection of brews that gives Spruce Street Harbor Park Sustained by Univest vibes from featured brewery Yards; a mouthwatering recipe for corn fritters from Cherry Street Pier vendor Hardena that are finger-licking good; and deep-fried Oreos from Blue Cross RiverRink Summerfest vendor Skelly’s Amusements.Our mouths are watering. How about you?
Curated by the team at Yards, here is a list of delicious craft brews that will put you in the summer mood. Plus, kick your bartending skills up a notch with a tasty cocktail recipe perfect for evening virtual happy hours with the crew.
Lazy Hammock IPA
Philadelphia Pale Ale
Brewed with orange and lime zest, this citrus wheat beer brings the juicy refreshment to your at-home summer celebrations.
This new year-round Hazy IPA is a bold aromatic ale loaded with tropical and citrus hops character and has that classic, hazy, golden color.
Summer Crushin’ Beer Cocktail
6 oz. Lemonade
6 oz. Yards Summer Crush
Splash of Yards PYNK
Garnish with orange and lime wedge
Summer on the Philly Waterfront Summer Recipes
Hardena’s Corn Fritters
1 whole onion or 1 cup of shallots, diced
2 cups of carrots, julienned
1 cup of chopped parsley
½ cup scallion, French cut
2 eggs (can omit for vegan version)
6 cups of all-purpose flour
½ cup of rice flour
Salt or seasoned salt to taste
1-2 tsp of turmeric powder
2 tsp of ground pepper (mix of white and black)
5 cups of ice cold water
Oil for frying
- Place flour, seasonings, and water into a large mixing bowl and mix batter. Should be a thick consistency.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Heat two inches of oil in a large flat pan on medium-high heat.
- Use a large serving spoon to scoop batter and insert into the hot pan. Flatten with a spoon so it cooks evenly.
- Cook until golden brown, remove from oil, and let drain.
- Serve with chili sauce and pickles!
Skelly’s Amusements Deep-Fried Oreos
Vegetable oil for frying
2 tbsp of vegetable oil
1 cup of milk
1 package of Oreos
- Heat vegetable oil in fryer or deep pan to 375F
- Whisk together egg, milk, and vegetable oil; then add pancake mix.
- Mix until all lumps are gone. Do not over mix!
- Dip Oreos in the mix with tongs and carefully place in hot oil. Make sure you turn them after about a minute.
- Cook 4 -- 5 at a time until light brown (about 2 mins).
- Remove from the fryer or pan and place on a lined tray or plate, allowing excess oil to drain.
- Sprinkle them with powdered sugar and serve. Best when served hot.